Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Iguazu

Sometimes you travel somewhere and it just instantly feels right. I'm convinced that a place, much like your favorite jeans, can just fit you perfectly. That's what it felt like being in Puerto Iguazu. I just fell in love with the laid back feel of the town and the idea that the only real attraction in the area was a huge national park with the most amazing waterfalls I'd ever seen and the surrounding jungle. Maybe it was because I'd just spent 5 overstimulating days in a place where most everything I saw was man made or maybe I just have a preference for small towns with a slow pace but after leaving BA getting to Puerto Iguazu was like coming home.


The town is way up north in Argentina right at the border with Brazil and Paraguay, both of which alluded us despite being only 10-15 minutes away on account of cumbersome visa processes. It was frustrating being able to see 2 countries right there but not being able to check them out (although we got really close on accident once when we took the wrong bus and it kicked us off at the last stop virtually across the street from Paraguay).

Iguazu Falls was just so impressive that I went nuts taking literally hundreds of pictures (of which I'll only bore you with a few). We spent a full day looking at the falls from every angle imaginable, following the bridges and stairs to the next view and hoping for some of the many butterflies to land in just the right spot to allow for a great picture.







Brazil shares the falls with Argentina and although we didn't get to go to the Brazil falls/park we got to look at their majesty from afar...


The falls off to the very left are Brazil's, as is the left half of the river. (???)

We took a little boat (where Keck insisted we sit right up front) straight into the falls and got totally drenched despite our pathetic little attempt to sport ponchos. After a few dips into the falls some of the other people in the boat started chanting "Again! Again! Again! Again!" and instead of zipping back to shore, we went in for one final, terrifying soak. It was a blast and a refreshing end to a long, hot day of making our way around the park.



The plan was to be in Puerto Iguazu for 2 days but we decided to stay another 2 days because we loved it so much. We took a horseback/guided hike through the jungle and learned about the local indigenous Guarani people and their lifestyle. Our guide had also set up a Tarzan style swing that Keck went to town on. I, on the other hand, being the model of wussiness, was too scared on my try to fully enjoy myself, lest i wet my pants. We also ate at our favorite restaurant of the whole trip a few times, enjoying fish, pasta and pizza on the cheap. We would generally have the whole place to ourselves since Argentines eat at 9 or 10pm and we would be famished by 7 or 8pm.







Eventually we dragged ourselves away from Iguazu but it was tough. The thing about travelling around like this is that you never know if the next place you end up in will be as great as where you are now. So I left both apprehensive and excited to move on to the Cordoba area to do some scenic driving and tour the Jesuit ruins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is so beautiful no wonder you stayed extra time. The swing looks fun too. Little brother Tim and big brother-in-law Rick would have both loved it. MIL