Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pigeon Problems



So here's the problem.  I'm scared of birds.  Not really the cute little hummingbirds but the terror-inducing pigeons and ducks and crows that don't seem to know they should fear humans and fly away at the very sight of us.  The other afternoon I go out on my balcony and behind our big water bottles there is a pigeon.  Of course I freak out and go running and screaming back inside to call Keck.  He tries calming me down as I explain to him that no matter how much noise I make I can't get the pigeon to fly away.  As I peer out one of my windows to check on the pigeon's whereabouts I see something that just sinks my heart like an anchor.  It's a nest.  This pigeon isn't going anywhere and through tears and sobs I try to tell Keck the balcony is now forever off limits to me as the pigeons have won.  Well, eventually I get it together enough to call in a maintenance work order (all the while wondering if pest control is really a maintenance issue).  I stop myself from declaring it an emergency, although secretly I think it is.  Eventually the maintenance guy comes the next day while we're both at work and knocks the nest off the balcony where it lands 3 floors below.  Killing the pigeon's unborn family was not exactly what I had in mind but like I said they're maintenance guys not pest control so I suppose I couldn't expect much more.  There was one more pigeon sighting that night.  She/he was perched in the exact spot where the nest had been and Keck was able to whoosh she/he away one last time.  So, in honor of that pigeon I post.  Please don't come back I have a quasi-phobia.  Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

pigeons have a rough life as it is, sis. we can take comfort in knowing they are in baby bird heaven and not in this cruel, cruel world :-(

Anonymous said...

here's my posting for the day :-)

Anonymous said...

al gore's wild, wild web. bahaaaa!
too bad our lady didn't win. I have to vote rep now.

The Monkeys said...

I am so glad you guys got a blog. I love to hear what you are up to!

Anonymous said...

I take that you didn't enjoy watching all the pigeons flying and pooping over people at the town square in Old San Juan?