Monday, November 30, 2009

Book Signing

I forgot to post about my Pioneer Woman meeting a few weeks back. Maybe I tried to block it out since the whole waiting four and a half hours wasn't really the best. Anyway, she's on a tour around the country signing copies of her new cookbook. I wanted to get a signed copy myself so I went to the bookstore right as she was supposed to be speaking thinking that even if I had to wait a little bit it would be alright. Surely the complete lack of parking in the humongous parking lot of the plaza should've tipped me off but I just pressed on. It was not unlike an amusement park ride, where you keep rationalizing with yourself, "I've waited an hour - it can't be much longer now." Then you say, "Two hours, well the store closes in another hour so for sure I'll be out by then." Eventually you end thinking, "I've put in three hours, they'll have to drag my dead body outta here before I give up now."



Many thanks to my sweet Keck, who did countless loops in the parking lot so I could secure my place in line (ha!). More thanks to him for offering to drive the twenty minutes back home to get the camera I forgot and for doing it quickly, lest they should call my group to line up (hahaha!). Oh, and thanks to him for waiting with me so patiently and reading children's books with me and playing uno to pass the time and keep me awake.


In the end I got my book signed and picture taken. In fact, Keck wasn't going to let anything mess this moment up for me and he took about twelve nearly identical pictures on the continuous shooting mode. PW was looking at him all crazy after a while wondering what was taking him so long to put the camera down.


She was a very nice and gracious lady - totally funny and pretty much everything I expected. I was glad to be done with it after waiting so long but would probably do it again just to support her.

3 comments:

The Monkeys said...

Wow- I hate waiting that long, but at least you were in a comfortable book store with even temp, hu? You guys look great.

Anonymous said...

tell me about pioneer woman I don't think I know the book or is it the women. MIL

gretchen said...

Pioneer Woman lives on a ranch in OK and runs a blog where she shares recipes and photography info, along with little anecdotes about her ranch lifestyle in the middle of small town OK. You can check out her site at www.thepioneerwoman.com.